Tuesday, September 14, 2010

My, That Pendulum Can Swing Both Ways

After yesterday's Raving Lunatic Mom rant, I am overjoyed to report that the Behavior Pendulum has come back my way.

Today, Urban Kid 2 was beeeeyond excited to help me put together dinner.  We did it this afternoon, -- one of those Campbell's Cream of Whatever-chicken-noodle-veggie casserole things -- covered it in foil and stashed it in the fridge, all the while with her beaming with pride and feeling ever so grown up beyond her sweet 3 1/2 years.

Later came (insert dum-dum-dum-ddduuuuuuuuuuuuummmmm music here)..... The Dental Appointment.  I reminded her repeatedly of how yesterday's Doctor Awesome appointment went, of how the rest of Urban Kid 2's day went as a result of it, of how she was going to tell Urban Dad how her day went today, etc.

And at The Dental Appointment, after a skittish start in the waiting room, she was all Love And Sunshine.  I had to lay in the chair with her as something of an extra layer for her to stretch out on, but she opened as wide as she could and all but thrust her face up at the doctor.  She cheerfully and politely answered the dentist's questions.  Finally, I told the hygienist that she could have Urban Dad's next paycheck if she managed to both clean Urban Kid 2's teeth and get the fluoride treatment done.

Urban Kid 2 obediently kept that mouth open, occasionally clutching my hand along the way.  And no, I'm still not sure about how I'm going to explain things to Urban Dad.....

Six months ago, the dentist barely got the quickest of glances into Urban Kid 2's mouth, acknowledged that we could forget about even trying for a cleaning and didn't even bother charging for the appointment.  

Perhaps the dentist will come with me to the next pediatrician appointment?  If she's especially brave, perhaps the grocery store even?

PS:  Pink Power Ranger is preggers -- due in early May!  Best Namma Ever! is going to be a Namma again!

8 comments:

Dy said...

I am convinced God does that so we'll stick around to see what happens next.

congrats to PPR!!! WOHOOO!

Unknown said...

It is normal for kids to get scared of visiting a dentist because as we all know; kids think that dentists are their worst enemies. But as parents, we must always tell our kids that dentists are not scary and they are our best friends. I have three kids and they really love their Clemson dentist because he's friendly and he gives my children dental procedures that are pain-free and kid-friendly.

Dy said...

September? SERIOUSLY?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Incongruous Circumspection said...

Got here by clicking on the 'Next blog' link. I'm a dad of six kids and dentist visits are always a crap shoot. One time, my bride and I will look at each other and swear that our second oldest is braver than heck, then the next time, that same kid'll fall to pieces and resist even a reverse vice grips. Thanks for the great post.

PS: Somebody needs to report Anonymous. I will start the process.

Urban Mom said...

Hi IC,
Thanks for your comment and for stopping by! Thanks to your note, I finally came by my poor neglected blog and deleted that creepy comment. How did I not see that since JANUARY!? I hope you come by again!
Dy, ok, you're right... I need to tend to my little corner of cyberspace here! You're right!!!
=-)

Incongruous Circumspection said...

I reported the site and then checked it, to see if it still existed. It does not. We're good!

louis vuitton bags said...


ugg boots outlet is Developing a Promotion of

Sales, Cheap Ugg Boots Can Be Seen Here and There. louis vuitton bags are no matter

famous in UK but also lead the market of handbags sale over the world. Louis Vuitton UK is such

a classic and luxury brand that suffers the forever pursuit of the nobleman. The designs and

colors of the Louis Vuitton purses are suit for people with different age and gender. And the

high quality makes Louis Vuitton handbags gain more compliment from its customers.