Sunday, November 29, 2009

Potayto, Potahto

Backstory:  As we are unpacking from our trip to Best Namma Ever!'s house in St. Louis for the Thanksgiving holiday, Urban Dad is holding a pair of socks in his hand that he has just removed from his luggage.  I am gathering things up to start a load of laundry.

Me:  Dirty socks?

Him:  What? (distracted, looking through his bag)

Me:  Dirty socks?

Him:  (looking at me and brightening)  Uh.... Yeah!  Sure!!  Okay!!

I look puzzled at his enthusiasm and hold out my hand to gesture for the socks.

Him:  Oh.... Dirty SOCKS(looks disappointed and hands them over)  I thought you said "dirty..." well, nevermind.....



We all hear what we want to hear, don't we? 

3 comments:

rita said...

*snork* Yep, men hear exactly what they want to hear!

Shortly after I started dating my first real date (read: after the divorce) we stopped to get ice cream. I sat in the car, supposedly listening to the big game on the radio. Supposedly because I care nothing about sports and had other things on my mind--as you will see.

He got back in the car and said (I thought), "D'ya wanta f^ck?" What he really said--"Did we score?" Damn basketball anyway.

T said...

Typical man! lol!

Hen Jen said...

snort!...we have conversations like this, often...laughing here!

nice to see you back Urban Mom, I was wondering what you were up to!