Wednesday, August 13, 2008

We're In The Mon..... oh never mind............

Late one night, after the Urban Kids were asleep, I came downstairs to find the Urban Dad deep in thought and staring at various financial charts on the computer.

ME: Whatcha doin?

U-DAD: Looking at Google. (the stock, not the actual webpage)

ME: (still dumb and happy) Whatcha learnin?

U-DAD: Well.... several months ago, I thought about buying it. We had (insert number here) dollars doing nothing, so I was looking for a place to put it. And I sat here one night when I was the only one awake and stared at the numbers for Google. And I thought about it and thought about it, but then I didn't do it.

ME: Ummmmmmmmm, what would (insert number here) dollars be worth today if you HAD bought Google that night?

U-Dad: 8-million-dollars.

ME: (pause) What's that after taxes?

U-Dad: About six-four.

ME: (longer pause as I think "for richer or for poorer, for richer or for poorer") Please don't tell me these stories anymore.

4 comments:

melissa said...

*snort* WHY do they tell us stuff like this????

Tonia said...

Oh my! I don't think I would have wanted to know that either!

Tiffany (aka T, Tiffers, Tiffster, and Pally) said...

Hells Bells! He should've just zipped it.

Anonymous said...

Yeah. We've had those conversations, too. And I've had to ask him to stop having those conversations with me.

Want me to tell you about the time he turned down a $200 an hour job? On second thought, that story just always makes me cry.